|James Henry Walter|
Mr. James Henry Walter, of Wattle Grove, died on the 16 July, 1892. He had been suffering from defective eyesight, and consequently met with an unfortunate accident, which culminated in death at the ripe old age of seventy-three years, a colonist of fifty four years standing, leaving a widow and several bereaved ones to mourn their loss. The late Mr. Walter was one of those persons who, however respected and honoured in his own generation, might have been little known to posterity had not peculiar circumstances obliged him to act an important and conspicuous part at memorable periods, and thus inseparably mix his name with all the events that appertained to the welfare and prosperity of the Huon district, notably Wattle Grove and Port Cygnet.
A true and devoted son of the Church, like his generation before him, his openhanded hospitality to all comers, and his modesty of deportment, caused his genial face to be much missed. His mortal remains were interred in the Church of England cemetery at Port Cygnet. The young men of the district, as a special mark of reverence and esteem, carried the coffin to its last resting-place, from his late residence, Wattle Grove, a distance of nearly five miles and there followed a long procession of relatives, friends, and residents. The Rev. W. M. Edinburgh officiated at church, and at the grave.
The deceased would have celebrated his golden wedding had he survived a few months. Although seventy-five years of age, his wife, Mrs. Susan Walter, (nee Garth) a native of Hobart, is enjoying fairly good health. The Wattle Grove Post Office is carried on at her residence by her daughter, Miss Ethel Marion Walter.
Mr. Walter arrived in the colony with his father, Mr. George Walter, catechist and religious instructor, in 1838, and for a period travelled with Sir John Franklin. He afterwards settled down to orchard and pastoral pursuits.
The Rev. James Walter, his grandfather, was, up to the date of his decease, Vicar of Market Rasen, Lincolnshire. He married a daughter of the Rev. R. Sharpe, Vicar of New Romney, Kent, and wrote an elaborate and comprehensive history of England.
The deceased was a nephew to Rev. Henry Walter, B.D., F.R.S., Rector of Halisbury Bryan, Professor of Natural Philosophy, and chaplain to the Duke of Northumberland.
An extract from Athena Oxonienses records the following :- "In a recess on the north side of Wolvercote Church, Oxon., is an elegant monument of ancestry of Sir John Walter. His effigy, life-size, dressed in his robes and lying between his first and second wife, his and their arms depicted on the top of the tomb, his three sons kneeling at his feet, and his three daughters at his head. In the same recess on the north wall is a bust, with this inscription "Here lieth the body of David Walter, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, Groom of the Bed Chamber to King Charles the Second, and Lieutenant-General of the Ordnance, which office His Majesty gave him as a reward for great valour and loyalty shown in the service of his father, of glorious memory, during the Civil Wars. Colonel David Walter distinguished himself in an attack on the Round Heads, who were located in the town of Thame, strongly barricaded at every avenue, in which they were driven from the town and several taken prisoners."
|Email the details of your pioneer family to Tom Wills|