166. James Arthur Wills
Notes by Max Parsons written in 1989.
Born at Spring Bay on November 17, 1867 and as a young man took up the trade of blacksmith. At Chalmers Church, Hobart, on December 5, 1892, he married Helen Margaret Gillies aged 23 - James was 25. Present as witnesses were Charles & Peter Modsen and Marion Gillies.
While situated at Lefroy, James and Helen commenced their family with twins -
Dorothy Sarah and Harold Lefroy born December 20, 1896. Soon after they moved to
Queenstown where James worked as a miner; the twins were baptised there on January
27, 1897. On June 10, 1899, James Arthur (Junior) was born at Queenstown. Another
girl, Gladys, and a boy, Kenneth Earl (1907) made up the family.
When the children grew to maturity it is believed that James Arthur Jnr. married and had 3 sons. Dorothy Sarah married George Scott. Gladys married Ted Bessell (director of Tasmanian Tourist Bureau in Hobart) and there were no children to the marriages of Dorothy or Gladys. Gladys Bessell died July 7, 1971
and Ted died in 1988. James Arthur Wills was living at 1 Thomas Street, Devonport in 1946 when he died - his wife Helen Margaret, pre-deceased him.
247. Dorothy Sarah Wills
A twin to Harold Lefroy Wills.
248. Harold Lefroy Wills
Twin to Dorothy Sarah Wills. Died aged 19 months.
172. George Williams
Federation Index has George Williams marrying Lydia Guest in 1893 and Dandenong Cemetary Records has the following listing:
"In loving memory of George Williams, died 13 June 1935 aged 74 years. Lydia Williams died 15 August 1954 Aged 84 years. Loved parents of Hope, Ruby, Amy and Wesley."
173. Elizabeth Williams
Married name McFarlane.
174. Henry J. Williams
Henry had a jam and sauce factory at Alphington, Vic. The trade name was Victoree. The business was sold after Henry died, the year before the Second World War started.
They had no children.
Joseph Henry (Harry) Wills
Notes by Max Parsons written in 1989.
Joseph Henry (known as Harry) eldest son of Thomas and Sarah (Davis) Wills, was born at Glamorgan 16 July 1858. During his youth he lived in the Swansea Spring Bay district and learned the trade of bootmaking.
By 1892, Harry was living in Victoria for in that year he married Hannah Williams, daughter of William and Sarah (Wills) Williams. Harry was 34, Hannah was 24 and sister (or cousin) of Henry J.Williams who, later, became the proprietor of a jam and sauce factory, Williams & Sons at Alphington, Victoria. Hannah was also related to Councillor Ray Williams of Dandenong and Frank Williams who with his wife, Annie, ran a bakehouse at the corner of Thomas and Foster Streets, Dandenong, prior to the 1939-45 war.
Hannah Williams' mother was "Sarah Wills" who was Thomas Wills' sister thus making Harry and Hannah cousins.
In 1893, Harry and Hannah's first child, Violet Beatrice, was born, four years later the family lived at 100 Shields Street, Flemington; Harry followed his trade of bootmaker. A boy, James Francis Ernest born 1905, was followed by another girl, Louise (or Lucy). Their first-born, Violet, died in 1910 aged 17, the family address was then 176 Flemington Road, Flemington where Harry had set up a bootmaking business. In 1911, identical twins, John Wesley (Jack) and Edwin Thomas (Ted) were born to Harry and Hannah.
The twins were 8 years' old when their mother, Hannah, died aged 51. Harry's sister Susan Lydia Cooper (probably widowed at the time) came from Tasmania to help raise the young ones. A friend of the family, Vera Thompson of Morwell,provided us with some background details. They all attended the Methodist Church situated opposite the boot business in Flemington Road and it was there that young James Wills met and married Olive, an attractive girl who walked with a limp. Sadly Olive and her first baby both died during childbirth.
'Lucy' married Jack McNally and had 3 children - Johnny,(while a lad, was run over and killed after an accidental fall from his bicycle) ,Estelle ("Stella") and another boy. In 1922 Jack McNally lived at 80 Edinburgh Street, Flemington and later he and his wife lived at the top of the New Zealand Loan building, Melbourne, where they acted as caretakers.
It is said that the twins, Jack & Ted, could be told apart only when they smiled for one had a chipped tooth. They enjoyed playing with their cousins at Hampton Park and they lived at 27 Glen Street, Essendon when James took over the boot business in Flemington. For Jack & Ted's 21st birthday, Harry threw a large party at the Cavalier Restaurant in Swanston Street and the guests were treated to an evening at the Capitol Theatre after - it was an impressive celebration for the depression years.
In 1936, Joseph Henry (Harry) died at the age of 77. Jack was employed in a real estate office and Ted worked for a jeweller in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, they continued to live at Glen Street with their Aunt Susan, the house was in Ted's name. On the 2nd September 1947, Gladys Wills of Guys Road, Cygnet, received a telegram, it was brief - "Aunty passed away last night (signed) Jack & Ted".
Harry, Hannah and Susan were deceased, the house was registered in Jack's name until 1957 It is believed that Jack married and Ted remained a bachelor and they lived in Surrey Hills in the '70's.
179. Thomas Wills
Master butcher of Willesden.
Martha Alice Smith
Witnesses to the wedding wee Thomas Cole Anthony and Catherine Herriott.
Brian Wills remembers his grandparents (William John Wills and Alice) didn't always live together. William use to live around the corner from Alice as Brian believes they couldn't get on together in the same house.
William was a drover.