137. Thomas Wills
Thomas and his brother Lewis moved together to Lake Bolac, half way between Ballarat and Hamilton in western Victoria, in 1903 to purchase land when the
Nerrin Station was subdivided.
They purchased the "Bluestone Woolshed" property when it came on the market in 1905, and called it "Fintry". They continued purchasing land there and at Carranballac until they had sufficient for Thomas to move his family onto a farm there. He and his sons later also purchased land at Lake McLaren, as well as "Cherrymount" near Streatham.
183. Thomas Wills
The cause of death was drowning. He was buried in Moonambel.
Thomas drowned while staying with his aunts at "The Vale", the
Power's family home on the Avoca River, at 3 years, 10 months, of age.
According to records held at Avoca on the Moonambel cemetery, he is buried either at the foot of, or to one side, of his grandparents grave.
Victoria May Powers
They lived most of their married life at Lake Bolac, but they retired to Ararat, Vic. in 1948.
140. George Wills
His birth does not appear to have been officially registered.
George went to Stony Creek in Gippsland, Vic. with his brother John (Jack). He later moved back to Carranballac in western Victoria, where he stayed for a time. After moving several times, near Boort, and to Talbot near Maryborough, he bought a farm property at Lilydale, northeast of Melbourne, where he eventually died.
At the same time as they had property at Lilydale, he and his wife lived on Albion
Street, St. Kilda, an inner suburb of Melbourne.
198. John Rodger Wills
Died at 7 months of age. While his death certificate states the cause of death as "muco - - - enteritis", the description does not mean very much. Family legend has it that he developed a fever and high temperature after being circumcised and had been given a hot water bottle, unfortunately without a cover, had received severe scalding, gone into shock, and died at the Leongatha Hospital. If this story is accurate, what is written on the death certificate appears to be a nonsense, presumably to cover up negligence.
157. George Herbert Wills
Notes by Max Parsons, 1989.
George, the eldest of Charles & Elizabeth's four children, and spent most of his youth in the Launceston-Georgetown area. His occupation was labourer when he married Elizabeth Hepburn Doak on February 21 1661. Both bride and groom were 23; they were married in the home of John Doak at Upper Piper according to the rites of the Congregational Church. Present as witnesses were Fanny Sarah Wills, William Doak and William James Rudd.
The couple went to live in Launceston, they had 5 children - Herbert Sydney Norman
(31 July 1883). Ethel Elizabeth Jessie (1882), George Charles John (23 August 1885), Edgar
Amos (born Launceston 10 July 1887 and died Georgetown 5 January 1888) and Leslie Hepburn
Wills (2 Sept. 1888). A few months after Leslie was born, the children's mother died
of Pthisis on December 15, 1888.
After the death of his wife, George Herbert gave his children into the care of
others. It is believed that Ethel and Leslie went to live with an aunt in Launceston
and the boys were put into a Roman Catholic boys' home which neither liked. Then
George Herbert Wills left Tasmania and some say he went to the Victorian goldfields
and later remarried, others think he went to United States of America.
After some years in the boys' home Herbert Sydney Norman obtained a job in
Georgetown and ran away from the home. Later both he and his brother George Charles
John worked for a Mr Frank Gale at "Daisy Dell", Kindred - on the way to Cradle
Herbert Sydney Norman Wills married Lillian Kathleen Brown, they lived in
Victoria and had 3 children. We believe that Lillian died about 1924 and Herbert's
second wife was named Jessie - they both visited Devonport about 1954. We have no
other information about them or the three children - Ethel, Jack & Grace.
George Charles John married Jessie Smith at Paloona 21 July 1909, George was a
trooper from 1910 to 1917. The couple had 7 children, all of whom married in due
course. Two of the sons served in the police force. George died at Latrobe about 1955 and his widow, Jessie, died at New Norfolk on November 19,1968.
Ethel Elizabeth Jessie Wills married Edward Harris and they settled in Western
Australia. The Harris's had 5 children - Lucie Ellen (1913) who married (in 1955)
James Cummins; Edward Herbert (1915) married (1935) Christina Elizabeth Ferguson and
they had 5 children; Eva Frances died aged 11; Elizabeth Maud (1922) married (1944)
Joseph Milsom and had 7 children; the fifth child Florence Harris died at birth.
220. Leslie Hepburn Wills
158. Francis Charles Wills
Notes by Max Parsons written in 1989.
Francis Charles, second son of Charles and Elizabeth, was born at Glamorgan on June 24 1859. He was educated at Cressy and was only 15 when his father died. Five years
later Frank, as he was generally known, married a bonny lass of the Clan Farquharson.
We stated earlier that the information on official certificates was often incorrect
due to faulty information supplied or written down by the registrar. Frank's certificate of marriage is such an example. His bride affected different Christian names and both parties "squeezed" the difference in their ages!
Francis Charles' marriage certificate states that he was a bachelor farmer, aged 21
(he was 20). The bride was "Alice Jean" Farquhar (actually she was christened Jane
Nilson Farquhar) spinster aged 24 (she was 25). They were married in the Wesleyan
Parsonage, Margaret Street, Launceston on December 16,1579. Clergyman was John
Greer, witnesses were Clara Williams and Elizabeth Greer.
Frank always called his wife "Jenny" but she obviously preferred to be known as "Alice Jean" rather than "Jane Nilson", for she gave her name as Alice Jean on the birth certificates of most of her children. In her more mature years she used the name Jane Nilson Wills and when she died in 1932 she was buried under that name.
Having disregarded for so long about given names we will settle on using "Frank" and "Jenny" for Charles and Jane Nilson Wills.
Frank and Jenny farmed at Launceston and Upper Piper. As well as chickens, they raised four children on the farms - Charles Eric Neilson (born 31 May 1880), Clara Jean Mary (23 January 1882), Alfred Robert Francis (11 January 1884) and Claudia Frances Margaret (13 February 1886).
In 1887, Frank was appointed Police Clerk at Georgetown and while there the couple added two more to the family - Norman Reginald Farquhar (6 February 1888) and Eveleen Agnes Winifred (25 January 1890). Then Frank was posted to Burnie to a senior position with the court and while at Emu Bay the family was completed with two boys - Vivian Thomas Malcolm (13 June 1893) and John Manfred McGregor Wills (9 July 1895).
In a publication entitled "The Cyclopedia of Tasmania" (An epitome of progress - business men and commercial interests.) published in 1900, the article below appeared on page 304.
MR. FRANCIS CHARLES WILLS,
Police Clerk, Registrar of the Court of General sessions, etc., Burnie, was born
at Swansea, Tasmania, in 1859, and educated at Cressy.
He was appointed police clerk at George Town in April, 1857, and remained in this position till November, 1890, when he was removed to Burnie. Mr. Wills is very popular throughout the district by reason of the fact that he takes an interest in all matters that affect the welfare of the district, as well as in athletics. He is the hon. secretary of the Burnie Poultry and Dairy Produce Society, and is mainly responsible for its many successes.
Mr. Wills was married in Launceston, to Miss Jane Farquhar, of Hobart, and has a family of three daughters and five sons.
In Walch's Tasmanian Almanac 1905 we saw this item - Francis Charles Wills - (1) Police Clerk, (2) Sub-Inspector of Police, (3) General Sessions - Deputy Clerk of Peace and Registrar, (4) Court of Requests - Registrar, (5) Registrar Births,Deaths & Marriages,
(6) Crown Lands Bailiff. So it appears that Frank "wore many different hats".
Even with all his "portfolios", Frank still enjoyed farming. A picture of his large two-story home in Burnie "Brooklyn", clearly shows that the whole of the front garden, from fence to verandah, was planted with potatoes. The humble "spud" played an important part
in determining the destiny of Frank and Jenny's family. When potato blight hit Tasmania, unemployment worsened and Frank decided to leave and establish his family in Victoria. Even the older children, some married, made the move to Victoria.
Francis Charles Wills secured a large property fronting to Mackie Road, Bentleigh and worked the land with the help of Chinese gardeners and ran a small dairy farm. Directories show that he lived there in 1911 and 1912. About 1913, Frank bought a large home at 66 Murray Street, Caulfield and this became the family staging place.
Almost all of the family (with their wives and children) spent some time there while they were setting up their own family homes.
In 1915, Frank made his last will and testament, it read, in part :- "..give and bequeath all to my dear wife Jane Nilson Wills, on her death to my son Norman £75, Vivian Malcolm £100, John McGregor £100, my daughter Eveleen £50 and a knitting machine. The remainder to be equally divided among my eight children. My son Charles Eric and my dear wife to be executors." It was signed by F.C.Wills, 27 July 1915 and witnessed by A.M. Welchman and H E Alder.
(Frank's will and testament also establishes, without doubt, that Jenny's name was Jane Nilson Wills.)
When World War I started Vivian and Jack (the two youngest boys of the family) enlisted in the AIF, as did Frank Dunt, boyfriend of their sister Eveleen. Vivian, a corporal in 5th Battalion was killed in action at Gallipoli on the third day of that historic campaign, Frank Dunt died in the sea while attempting the landing and Jack made it safely home after serving also at Anzac Cove.
Francis Charles Wills died a few years later on January 2, 1919 aged 59. He was
buried at Brighton Cemetery in Grave E7 Baptist Section (No.12318). Jenny erected
a headstone which reads :-
"In memory of my beloved husband, Francis Charles Wills, who passed away
2 January 1919 aged 59 - Till the Day Dawns - also our beloved son, No. 886
Cpl Vivian Malcolm Wills, 5 Batt.,AIF, Killed at Anzac 27 April 1915 aged 21.
(John 15 - 13)."
Jenny continued to live at 66 Murray Street with various members of the family. At one time her son, John McGregor, ran a small knitting factory in a large room of the house. As the house was so large with several outside bungalows, boarders were taken in, among them was Herbert Wilson a music teacher who later became Eveleen's husband. Jenny's home was always open to her family and their children until she died September 11, 1932 at Caulfield. Her body was laid to rest beside her husband Frank.
Jane Nilson (Alice Jean) Farquhar
Notes by Max Parsons in 1989.
"Jenny" was born in Hobart, daughter of Robert Farquhar of the Clan Farquharson. We need to regress several centuries to understand a little of the Clan. Their story is one of
castles and kings, huge estates and thousands of clan members of whom Jenny is one. It is more difficult to decide what to leave out, than what to tell of their story, so if you wish to learn more of the Farquharsons go to your local library end borrow "The Clans of the Scottish Highlanders" by R.R.Mclan and "Scottish Clans and Tartans" by Neil Grant.
The "dear ones" the Farquharsons are descended from Farquhar, son of Shaw of Rothiemurchus. They acquired 'Invercauld House' (built of granite with a battlemented tower rising to 70 feet) on Upper Deeside by the marriage of Donald to the heiress Isobel Stewart.
During the 17th century Sir Robert Farquharson of Invercauld greatly improved the family fortunes by his commercial and political activities and later they acquired the seat of the Earls of Mar, Braemar Castle, which they still hold today.
The estates include 4 deer forests in surrounding hills and corries, 9 grouse moors and 26 miles of fishing on the Dee. The present resident chieftain of the Clan is Captain Aiwyn Compton Farquharson.
Jane's father, Robert Farquhar was born in Aberdeen and our research leads us to
believe that he was born 6 April 1817 to Robert and Jean (Rae) Farquhar and he came to Hobart and set up in business as a cabinet maker in Bathurst Street. On 4 Sept. 1846 he married spinster Janet Baxter at St George. Church, Hobart, they had 3 children, Mary Jane who died of convulsions aged 5 months on 2 Feb.1850; Robert (born 1850) who later married Catherine Campbell Nance in 1872 and they had 10 children - the third of Janet's children was Margaret Jane (born 1 Sept.1852). Robert's wife, Janet, died of dysentery on 17 Sept.1853 aged 27.
Six weeks later, Robert married a widow, Mary Toomey (nee Currie) at Hobart on October 31, 1853. They lived at 6 Argyle Street with the family and Robert continued as a cabinet-maker and carpenter. On October 17, 1854, Jane Nilson Farquhar was born to Robert and Mary. On 1 December 1856 another girl, Mary, was born.
After his second wife died, Robert (then aged 51) married Ellen Neagle, a 35 year-old
spinster at All Saints Church of England, Hobart, on 2 Feb. 1869; present as witnesses
were Robert Farquhar Jnr and Anne Wheeler. On July 19, 1870 Robert and Ellen had a
As stated before, Jenny enjoyed being known as "Alice Jean" during her younger years
and, to further add to the confusion, Alfred Wills' marriage certificate showed the
groom's mother to be "Jean Mary". When Clara Wills married Herbert Parsons in 1907
the bride's mother was correctly shown as "Jane Nilson" Wills and from that time on,
Jenny was referred to as Mrs Jane N. or Jane Nilson Wills.
227. Vivian Malcolm Thomas Wills
By Pamela Sullivan 9 Oct 2001.
Vivian Malcolm Thomas Wills ( Corporal 5th Battalion AIF ) died at Gallipoli on Sunday, 25th April 1915 - the same day that William Henry Wills died. They were in different battalions, on separate parts of the beach. They were second cousins.
159. Clara Elizabeth Wills
Notes by Max Parsons in 1989
Clara Elizabeth Wills was born August 6, 1861 at Woodhall about 6kms from Longford. She was baptised at the Church of England, Perth Tasmania, on October 14, 1661.
On July 21,1880, Clara married Frederick John Uhlman at St John's Church, Launceston.
He was a 29 year-old farmer, son of John Uhlman, she gave her age as 19 but had not
yet reached that age. Witnesses at the wedding were her younger sister, Fanny Sarah,
elder brother George Herbert and the girl who would soon be his wife - Elizabeth
Clara and Fred settled in Longford where he worked as a farm labourer, then contractor,
they had only one child, Florence Sophia Frances Uhlman, born 12 June 1881 at Lonqford.
Before Florence turned 4, her mother, Clara, aged 23, died of congestion of the lungs
on May 5, 1885. At present we have no information about Florence's adult life.
Widower, Fred Uhlman waited six years before taking another wife, she was Alice
Siggins, he was 39 she was 26 when they were married on June 3, 1891, at St Luke's
Church of England, Campbelltown. Witnesses were Horace, Elizabeth and Louisa Siggins
and Benjamin Richardson. Fred and Annie produced 3 half-brothers and 2 half-sisters for Florence.
160. Fanny Sarah Wills
Notes by Max Parsons in 1989.
Fanny Sarah Wills, was born September 18, 1863 at "Panshanger" and baptised at Longford Church of England on August 4 1864. She must have enjoyed her childhood in the "Panshanger" gardener's cottage which is beautifully situated by a lake at the foot of a small hill in the midlands of Tassie.
Unfortunately Fanny's happiness was not to continue for she was separated from her husband before her only child was born in 1883 - Fanny was not then 20. She chose not to use the father's name and called her baby daughter, Elizabeth Ollis Dyer Wills, exactly the same as her own mother's name.
When her daughter was 11 years-old, Fanny married William Miller in Victoria in 1894
but this marriage was not blessed with any children. Fanny and William Miller set
up their home on a 10-acre lot at Hampton Park in the foothills of Dandenong.
After Fanny's daughter, Elizabeth, turned 22 she married a naval officer, William
Arthur George Sinclair on Christmas Eve 1905 at Wartook, Victoria. Elizabeth and
William purchased or built a similar weatherboard cottage to her mother's on an
adjoining block at 24 Pound Road (in 1989, their son Frank was still living there).
Elizabeth and William Sinclair had four children - Charles Irwin (1908),William
Francis (6 May 1911), Iris and Frederick (birth dates unknown).
Elizabeth's husband, William Sinclair, retired from the Navy (presumably after the
1914-18 War) and became a schoolteacher. His son, William Francis (Frank) said that
his father was a strict disciplinarian as a teacher and a father. While the children
were growing up, the family was in frequent contact with several Wills' families -
Joseph Henry's, Charles Eric Neilson's, Norman Reginald's and others. The children
played together in the many gum trees and the adults enjoyed chatting with "Aunt
Fanny" as she was affectionately called. It is not known when her husband, William
Miller died but Fanny died at Dandenong Hospital June 9, 1943, the property was sold,
the house demolished and the subdivision of Jambe Court was formed.
From this time on there was little communication between the Sinclairs and their
cousins until Max Parsons located and called on Frank Sinclair in 1966. Frank's
sister, Iris, was a nurse during the 1939-45 War and shared house with Frank after
her mother's death on November 5, 1959; Iris died about 1986. Charles and Frederick
Sinclair both died of cancer.
Charles Sinclair worked in the railways,then joined the police force and his brother,
Frank, recalled an incident when Charles apprehended a young speedster in a sports
car in St Kilda Road. He was about to book the young man when he recognised him as
his cousin Westley Williams, son of Henry Williams of Alphington, the owner of the
sauce and jam factory. There was no entry made in the book and later, a gift of a
case of jam came Constable Sinclair's way.
Frank Sinclair has had a variety of jobs during his life, once at Heinz factory and lastly at Waverley Public Golf Course but he retired due to ill health.
Frank is the last surviving member of the Sinclair family, he has no children as he remained a bachelor. He lives alone in the old house and because of his hearing disability does not have a phone. He has bad eye-sight and cannot read papers or letters, also due to a back problem he can only potter about his too large garden.
His housing block is large enough for 3 modern homes and is all that is left of the original 10 acre lot. Frank sold the rest which was subdivided to create Sinclair Court which is filled with modern villas.
161. Joseph Henry (Harry) Wills
Notes by Max Parsons written in 1989.
Joseph Henry (known as Harry) eldest son of Thomas and Sarah (Davis) Wills, was born at Glamorgan 16 July 1858. During his youth he lived in the Swansea Spring Bay district and learned the trade of bootmaking.
By 1892, Harry was living in Victoria for in that year he married Hannah Williams, daughter of William and Sarah (Wills) Williams. Harry was 34, Hannah was 24 and sister (or cousin) of Henry J.Williams who, later, became the proprietor of a jam and sauce factory, Williams & Sons at Alphington, Victoria. Hannah was also related to Councillor Ray Williams of Dandenong and Frank Williams who with his wife, Annie, ran a bakehouse at the corner of Thomas and Foster Streets, Dandenong, prior to the 1939-45 war.
Hannah Williams' mother was "Sarah Wills" who was Thomas Wills' sister thus making Harry and Hannah cousins.
In 1893, Harry and Hannah's first child, Violet Beatrice, was born, four years later the family lived at 100 Shields Street, Flemington; Harry followed his trade of bootmaker. A boy, James Francis Ernest born 1905, was followed by another girl, Louise (or Lucy). Their first-born, Violet, died in 1910 aged 17, the family address was then 176 Flemington Road, Flemington where Harry had set up a bootmaking business. In 1911, identical twins, John Wesley (Jack) and Edwin Thomas (Ted) were born to Harry and Hannah.
The twins were 8 years' old when their mother, Hannah, died aged 51. Harry's sister Susan Lydia Cooper (probably widowed at the time) came from Tasmania to help raise the young ones. A friend of the family, Vera Thompson of Morwell,provided us with some background details. They all attended the Methodist Church situated opposite the boot business in Flemington Road and it was there that young James Wills met and married Olive, an attractive girl who walked with a limp. Sadly Olive and her first baby both died during childbirth.
'Lucy' married Jack McNally and had 3 children - Johnny,(while a lad, was run over and killed after an accidental fall from his bicycle) ,Estelle ("Stella") and another boy. In 1922 Jack McNally lived at 80 Edinburgh Street, Flemington and later he and his wife lived at the top of the New Zealand Loan building, Melbourne, where they acted as caretakers.
It is said that the twins, Jack & Ted, could be told apart only when they smiled for one had a chipped tooth. They enjoyed playing with their cousins at Hampton Park and they lived at 27 Glen Street, Essendon when James took over the boot business in Flemington. For Jack & Ted's 21st birthday, Harry threw a large party at the Cavalier Restaurant in Swanston Street and the guests were treated to an evening at the Capitol Theatre after - it was an impressive celebration for the depression years.
In 1936, Joseph Henry (Harry) died at the age of 77. Jack was employed in a real estate office and Ted worked for a jeweller in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, they continued to live at Glen Street with their Aunt Susan, the house was in Ted's name. On the 2nd September 1947, Gladys Wills of Guys Road, Cygnet, received a telegram, it was brief - "Aunty passed away last night (signed) Jack & Ted".
Harry, Hannah and Susan were deceased, the house was registered in Jack's name until 1957 It is believed that Jack married and Ted remained a bachelor and they lived in Surrey Hills in the '70's.
232. William Henry Wills
Pamela Sullivan reports on the 8 October 2001:-
William Henry was born in 1896 in Flemington, Vic, and died at Gallipoli on Sunday, 25th April 1915 -
the same day that Vivian Malcolm Wills died. They were in different battalions, on separate parts of the beach. They were second cousins.
236. Edwin Thomas (Ted) Wills
Twin of John Wesley Wills.
163. Thomas Charles Wills
Notes written by Max Parsons written in 1989.
He was educated in that town and took up the trade of bootmaker like his brother, Harry. On March 3, 1886, aged 24, he married Mary Ann Dilger, a 19 year old spinster daughter of Christen and Frederika (Rapp) Dilger, Mary Ann was born at Franklin 16 November 1865. Witnesses to the marriage ceremony at Swansea Church were William Christen Dilger and George William Wills.
Their first child was born at Glamorgan on December 9, 1886, he was a boy, Arthur William and he died of enteritis two months later on 2 February 1887. Their third child, Clarence Welter, born 1890, died from blood poisoning due to a slight chilblain on his heel on August 16, 1894, he was only 4 years 3 months old.
On the July 3 1889, Thomas Charles, following in his father's footsteps and joined the Tasmanian Territorial Police service.
On page 191 of "Cyclopedia of Tasmania" published in 1900, the following article appears-
The Court House Derby, consists or a convenient court-house and magistrate's private room. It was built in 1887, and is one of the finest buildings in Derby. The police station and watch-house adjoin the main building, and were erected at the same time. The station consists of five rooms, and the watch-house has two cells. Mr.T.C.Wills is a native of Southern Tasmania, and was educated at Spring Bay. After leaving school he was apprenticed to the hoot trade; and worked at it for fifteen years. He entered the Territorial Police service on 3rd July, 1889, as a police constable at New Town and Queenborough, and after serving a short period at the head office in Hobart, he was transferred to Moorina as watch-house-keeper and constable, and remained there upwards of three years. Mr. Wills was then transferred to Branxholm as registrar, constable and occupied this position until the court was transferred to Derby on 1st January, 1894, when he was given charge as constable, bailiff, and registrar of the Court of Requests, bailiff of Crown lands, and sanitary inspector, a position he has occupied ever since.
Not long after the above was published Thomas Charles was transferred to Cygnet and the people of Derby gave him a farewell social in the Town Hall. A newspaper of the time said "there was no expense spared" and we quote from part of the article - "Mr J.P.Clarke, on behalf of the people of Derby, presented Trooper T.C.Wills with a purse containing 13 sovereigns. Mr Clarke made a neat and telling speech dwelling, upon Mr Wills' long residence in the district and his ever willingness to assist in all matters of public and private importance and the able and thoroughly efficient manner in which he had performed his many duties throughout this extensive district. Mr Wills suitably replied."
In 1907 he retired from the police force and purchased a 50 acre orchard property from a Mr.Guy, it was located in Guys Road, Cygnet and known as "Burnside". Thomas Charles spent the last 2O years of his life as a practical fruit grower and was a Member of the Fruit Board. He was prominently connected with the local racing club and a keen supporter of sport of all kinds. He was one of the first members of the Druids Lodge in Cygnet and capably filled the offices of treasurer then secretary until ill health made his resignation necessary.
Thomas Charles was a church warden at St Mark's Church of England for many years before he died after a long and painful illness on August 19, 1927.
His son, Eric Albert took over the Cygnet property and his wife Mary Ann Wills lived on the property until she died, aged 88, on May 16, 1954.
In the early 1960's the house and a quarter-acre was sold and the house renamed "Guy's Cottage". The balance of the property remained in the Wills family.
Mary Ann Dilger
Notes written by Gladys Wills
Mary Ann Dilger was the daughter of Christian Dilger (died 8 April 1881) and Fredricker Rapp (died 7 November 1899), German families that came out in sailing ships and settled at Swansea, Tas.
They brought with them grape cuttings which they planted, grew and made wine for home use.
237. Arthur William Wills
Died of enteritis at 2 months.
239. Clarence Walter Wills
Died of Tophalcalmia at 4 years 14 weeks.
243. Charles Hedley Wills
Notes written by Max Parsons in 1989. Expanded by Tom Wills in 2001.
Charles was born at Derby on May 22, 1900, his interests in sport were similar to his brothers; in addition to football he was keenly interested in running with his brother Mick. After the Great War he and Mick competed together - in 17 starts at meetings in Hobart and the Huon, they annexed 14 wins over the 130 and 440 yards distances.
Charles married Claire Huxtable but they had no children. He went into business in Hobart as a shop-keeper and carpet layer by trade. Claire played the piano and Charlie the saxophone in dance bands throughout the Huon.
Charles died 1 Sept.1984.