Messrs. John Wilson and Sons, Shipbuilders and Shipwrights, Port Cygnet, established about 1870 by Mr. John Wilson. This firm is responsible for the construction of some of the finest trading vessels on the Derwent, including such well-known craft as the steamships "Huon", "Leilateah", "Speedwell", "Lottab" and "Good Intent".
They have in course of construction a very finely designed craft of 85 feet overall, to the order of Messrs. Whitehouse and Pitfield. She is intended for the Upper Huon trade. Her design was drawn by Mr. Walter Wilson, the eldest son, who, together with his four brothers, works in his father's yard.
Mr.John Wilson is a native of Port Cygnet, and served his apprenticeship to the shipbuilding trade with Mr. Colin Walker, with whom he worked for many years, and then opened on his own account.
When work at the yards was slack, Mr. Wilson took contracts for other works. He built the public hall at Port Cygnet for Mr. Devereux. He was married to a daughter of Mr. William Guest, of Gardner's Bay, and has a family of five sons and three daughters.
Descendants of John Wilson continue shipbuilding at Cygnet in 2012.
See their latest vessel at The re-birth of a classic eight metre